[8023-10GEPON] July 2008 meeting report

Dear Colleagues,

July 2008 meeting minutes (unapproved) and other meeting materials are uploaded and available at http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/2008_07/index.html.
(Presenters - please verify that final versions of your slides are uploaded.)

At this meeting we resolved 48 comments (some comments were withdrawn). Approved comment responses are available http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/2008_07/3av_0807_comments_d1_8023_accepted.pdf.

Based on the approved response, at the meeting we have produced draft D2.0. The draft is available at http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/private/draft_2_0/3av_D2_0.pdf, and a version highlighting differences with the draft D1.8023 is available here: http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/private/draft_2_0/3av_D2_0_mark_up.pdf

Please, note that by working group request, the draft now includes annexes 31A and 31C, and that clauses 91, 92, 92A, and 93 are renumbered to 75, 76, 76A, and 77, respectively.

At this meeting we reached a major milestone: The 802.3 working group has accepted our draft for the initial Working Group Ballot. I would like to thank everybody for the very hard work, especially during past several review cycles, to bring our draft into a technically-complete state. My many thanks to our editors, who often work late hours to meet very tight deadlines that the chair chronically imposes on them.

The WG ballot announcement will be made soon. Please, remember that casting your ballot is as important for maintaining your 802.3 voting rights, as meeting attendance.

At the July meeting, we also formed an ad hoc to study power saving features in EPON with the following objectives:
        1) Quantify typical power consumption of various units/functions in ONU and OLT
        2) Propose solution(s) and quantify potential power savings of each solution and cost impacts
        3) Quantify the impact on service delivery and QoS of various solutions.

Akihiro Otaka is appointed the ad hoc chair. If you are interested in participating in this ad hoc, please contact Otaka-san at ootaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our September meeting will take place in Seoul, South Korea, on September 16-18. By task force's request, I am exploring opportunity to extend our meeting for one additional day, preferably Monday, September 15th.

Sincerely,
Glen Kramer
Chair, IEEE P802.3av "10GEPON" Task Force
glen.kramer@xxxxxxxx