Re: [8023-10GEPON] Upstream Wavelength Selection

Title: Upstream Wavelength Selection

Frank,

While not wishing to enter the debate on what the wavelength choice for 10G EPON should be, your statement “The G.671 standard for couplers specifies the two traditional windows: 1260~1360 and 1480~1580.  So, if we continue to specify that our ODN is composed of fibers recommended in G.652 and couplers recommended in G.671 then we really shouldn't go beyond 1580nm.“ is not really correct.

G.671 Amendment 1 (03/2006) available here:

http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.671-200603-I!Amd1/en

adds an “Optical branching component (wavelength non-selective) for PONs” which is specified from 1260 to 1360 nm and 1450 to 1600 nm.

For the loss of G.652 type fibre, some information was presented in:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/2007_03/3av_0703_anslow_1.pdf

see slides 5 to 11.

The red curve on slide 6 is derived from measurements of 1549 fibres at 1550 and 1625 nm together with full spectrum measurements of uncabled fibres.  The only room for uncertainty between these results and your requirements is whether the bends seen in a PON environment produce a significantly different curve from those seen in the transport environment.

Regards,

Pete Anslow

Nortel Networks UK Limited, London Rd, Harlow, Essex CM17 9NA, UK

External +44 1279 402540 ESN 742 2540

Fax +44 1279 402543