Re: [8023-10GEPON] FW: Downstream wavelength

Hi Victor:  I appreciate your comments, as they describe the existing conditions in the end solution space.

To that end I support your comments, and position which is also advocated by Jim Farmer.

My rational is that optical sources do not need to be so expensive and tightly temperature controlled when you can use the  1580-1600nm band,
and when you remove the tight wavelength requirement, optical , sources get cheaper, and thus increase the chances of wide
acceptance as was the case of 1GEPON, which uses low-cost optics.

Allowing a wider wavelength range also consumes less power, and can be viewed as being more "green";  something which was not
a direct component to the initial PAR, but should be a factor that all engineers take in to account when developing a new standard.

Best Regards

Maurice Reintjes
MindspeedTM
Hillsboro, Oregon,USA
Office Phone (503)-403-5370
Mobile (503)-701-0797

Victor Blake <victorblake@xxxxxxx>

11/04/2008 06:21 PM
Please respond to
Victor Blake <victorblake@xxxxxxx>

STDS-802-3-10GEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [8023-10GEPON] FW: Downstream wavelength

Jim,

As an early supporter of 10GigEPON (starting at the CFI) I am writing to the task force to express my support for your proposal. I believe that the 1580-1600nm wavelength would be more appropriate for use in the North American and in particular US MSO market. This market is composed of operators have existing wavelengths in use of their plant. Some already have substantial EPON deployments.

As you have pointed out, 1577 (1574-1580nm) could be substantial problem for MSOs. Having the second wavelength available for this market need would help to avoid a conflict between 10GigEPON and broadcast video – to which 10GigEPON would surely loose out. If the task force were to elect to keep 1590nm out of the plan, they would be spelling out certain disaster for 10GigEPON as we know specifically of the efforts to use 1590nm for current proposals for a next generation GPON solution. The result of keeping 1590nm out of 10GigEPON would be to force the MSO industry to GPON. I’ll just assume that is not the goal of the 10GigEPON Task Force, but it nevertheless would be the most likely outcome.

In fact it is no surprise to find that the GPON vendors are the ones most supportive of this proposed change.

I’ve communicated with a number of major US MSOs about this issue. The three I have directly received responses from all support 1590nm and wish to continue to see it as their first choice. Although these organizations are not directly represented in the IEEE today, they have from time to time participated in the past, and are certainly the largest EPON and 10GigEPON market in North America currently. For this reason, I urge the task force members to reach out to the MSO community and solicit their opinions if you do not already know where they stand.

Victor Blake
Independent Consultant

[8023-10GEPON] FW: Downstream wavelength

We request to make the attached presentation during the 10GEPON meeting in Dallas.  We remain concerned over the decision to drop the 1590 nm downstream band from the plan, for reasons shown in the attached.  Note that there are notes that go with most of the slides.  You can see them by going to View|Notes Page

Thanks,
Alan Brown

Jim Farmer

Jim Farmer, K4BSE