Re: [8023-10GEPON] FW: Downstream wavelength

Victor,

I doubt that.  >90% of EPON is deployed in Japan, so you can’t neglect their OSP and the huge influence this has on part volumes.

Back to the Mike’s suggestion – while it is a good idea, it will work if the big concern is the transmitter specifications.

However, the latest comment from Jim Farmer regards the filters at the ONU receiver.  And defining a super-set of the bands doesn’t help there.

Actually, in my opinion, neither the filters nor the lasers are that big of a deal.  I’m not sure where Jim’s filter data come from, but there are pretty standard thin-film filter designs that can achieve the sharpness, accuracy, and temperature stability that we need for 14nm of guard band.  Our task force actually got a model of this back in May of 2007.  Actually, one of the considerations in the difficulty of making these filters is the width of the pass band, and it is actually easier to make a 6nm width pass band than a 20nm pass band.

Sincerely,

Frank E.