[8023-10GEPON] On the downstream wavelength

Dear all,

I am racking my brain to think how we can move forward on this issue in a way that gives everybody at least 1 grain of rice in their bowl... so how is this idea:

I notice that in ITU G.984.5 (attached), which is the standard that specifies the blocking filters for G-PON (and which is also relevant to 1G EPON, by the way), the performance of the video blocking filter is specified in Appendix II.  This gives the shortest wavelength above the video band to be “TBD (1574 or 1575nm)”.  I happen to know that a very significant deployment is using 1575nm as the video blocking filter cut-off wavelength for their currently deploying PON systems.  This is really the same kind of practical limitation as the 1580nm cut-off of the OTDR filters, and I ask: Shouldn’t we make the same allowances for this limitation as for the other?  I think that would be the right thing to do.

My proposal:

Refine the wavelength band for all downstream power budgets to be 1575 to 1580nm.  This makes the OLT 1nm tighter (which should not really hurt us, because once you temperature control the transmitter, you actually can control the wavelength quite tightly), and it makes the ONU filter guard band 7% easier (every bit helps.)

I will admit that this is a pretty small step. But at least it is something, and shows our commitment to working to achieve commonality and consideration of all interests.

Sincerely,

Dr. Frank J. Effenberger      弗兰克 埃芬博格

Huawei Technologies USA

1700 Alma Drive, Plano TX 75075