[10GMMF] Minutes/notes for TP2 call, 8/6/04

All - here are my notes for last Friday's TP2 call. Please send corrections.

Attendees
  • Martin Lobel, Intel
  • Jan Peeters Weem, Intel
  • Jim Heckroth, Silicon Labs
  • Abhijit Shanbhag, Scintera
  • Andre Van Schyndel, Bookham
  • Piers Dawe, Agilent
  • Tom Lindsay, Norm Swenson, Bharath Jagannathan; ClariPhy
  • Brent Whitlock; RSoft
  • Nick Weiner, PhyWorks
  • Sudeep Bhoja, Big Bear
  • Ed Cornejo; Opnext
  • Lars Thon; Aeluros
  • Others?
Housekeeping
  • Proposed agenda was approved (see below).
  • Previous minutes were approved with the correction on attendance (see below).
  • Project objective statement was approved (see below). There was some discussion on whether to mention interactions with other groups, but it was felt to be sufficiently implied.
  • We decided to not have specific liaison reports from TP3 or channel modeling groups; Given the common attendance by many, if those groups need to represent a relevant point or view to this group, they are encouraged to do so, and vice versa.
  • Dates/location for interim meetings still TBA.
  • Call dates: weekly, Thursdays, 9 AM Pacific time, starting 8/19.
Progress, technical discussions
  • Refer to slides uploaded with tlindsay email to LRM reflector, 8/6/04 AM.
  • 1st slide, with contribution from John Ewen, shows Tx and components. Need to determine which components have the most impact on cost, then evaluate their impact on budget (penalty): % cost savings/dB penalty metric.
  • Effect of TP2 performance may be dominated by long channels. This is the motivation for considering low cost components, such as TO-cans.
  • This work will be implementation-dependent; depending on design approach, levels of integration, etc.
  • Desirable to have existence proof of running 10G traffic with real hardware using low cost components.
  • Some relaxed spec vs. cost work done, but not yet ready to present.
    • Intel is doing work on packaging, impedance mismatches and laser (rate equations, RO, etc.) variations, including use of 4G components.
    • Bookham is performing internal studies, seeing potential of ~10% cost savings.
    • Others?
  • Even though components may be capable of relaxed specs (e.g., risetime), performance should still be controlled (to some level) over the spectrum required for 10G transmission. That is, there may be hidden costs that offset some of the savings.
  • Volume may provide more potential cost savings than relaxation of specs.
  • Relaxed component specs may enable lower costs sooner, allowing market volume to begin sooner.
  • Non-linear lasers do not exhibit Gaussian impulse response - more work required to evaluate range of laser properties against EDC to assess equalizable and non-equalizable power penalties.
  • In trying to focus your work, please consider what inputs are needed from others.
  • Regardless of cost reduction effort, we must determine set of TP2 test metrics to ensure interoperability.
    • Simple mask test does not account for all potential penalties allowed in the current budgets.
    • Goal is for tests to be simple and not high cost.
    • Test metrics should be used during cost studies.
Next call (8/19, 9 AM Pacific time)
  • Expect results of cost vs. performance studies from Intel, Opnext, and Bookham.
  • Agilent may look into non-linear laser effects.
  • Others encouraged.
  • Work on TP2 test metrics must proceed independently.

Comments?
Tom Lindsay
ClariPhy communications
tlindsay@ieee.org