Re: [10GMMF] Notes from Aug 24 meeting on TP3 definition

Hi Michael,
Thank for providing fast resume. Please add my name to the list since I
was attending.
I have some comments about the marked questions.

1.      Linearity.

        Why should we argue about ISI linearity? The laser linearly
converts amplitude into intensity and what we can measure on DCA in
every case is just optical intensity. Out target should be to reproduce
a synthesized optical signal whose detected intensity fits ell with
worst case fiber samples. Why should we discuss about electric field
propagation and how modal components overlap? That will include non
linear overlapping but we will never manage the electrical field from
the source point of view.

        As a second point I do not see how to relate intramodal
dispersion with non linear mode overlapping. Those are two different
things. We will have non linear pulse contribution overlap from
different fiber modes due to square law detection of overlapping
electric fields. Each modal electric field goes under intramodal
dispersion (chromatic dispersion) by himself, without any kind of
interaction with spatially adjacent propagating modes. I agree
intramodal dispersion is negligible for such distances.

        In addition, according to Petre proposal (to which I agree) we
remain in the electrical domain at all sections (page 4-5 of Petre
presentation) and both LPF act on electrically down-converted signals.
The MSE algorithm works in the electrical domain.

I have some questions for Petre:

        1.      The metric you use for defining MSE convergence is PSR
on page 3. Since the error is at the denominator of the in integrand
function you should reach convergence for increasing PSR, isn't?
        2.      Once you have computed PSR, how do you proceed in
changing A0, A1, A2, T1 and T2? Do you use a multidimensional
optimization tool?

Please let me know your feedback,

Best regards

Stefano