Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

[10GMMF] TP3 Meeting notes Sept 14

Hi Everyone,

Here are my notes from this Tuesday's call.
Next meeting Sept 21.

Best Regards


1. Attendees

Aronson, Lew
Balasubramonian, Venu
Dalahasse, John
Dawe, Piers
Ewen, John
Hanberg, Jesper
Jaeger, John
Lawton, Mike
Lindsay, Tom
Popescu, Petre
Rommel, Albrecht
Shanbhag, Abhijit
Thon, Lars
Van Schyndel, Andre
Willcocks, Ben
Witt, Kevin

2. Quick Time out - what is working and what is not? what could be done better, what needs to change?

The following suggestions were received:-
        o we should attempt where possible to follow up raising questions and issues with a proposal for an alternative which would address them
        o We should keep an open issues/questions spreadsheet
        ACTION: Mike to set spread sheet up. This is done, see attached. Please send me any issues or questions that you think the group needs to track. 
        o another subsequent suggestion by email has been for silent parties to mute their phone.
                - Your phone can be muted with #5 and use #5 again to unmute

3. Update on experimental results regarding non linearities in E-O-E    Abhijit

Venu presented some slides on his measurements. Early results are encouraging and indicate that the channel model can be reprsented by an electrical ISI generator could be used prior E-O-E without significant distortion arising from non-linear effects. Measurements are on-going with more data to come on the next call.

4. Review Parameter Fitting for the ISI Generator (Petre)

Petre presented his latest slides. These will be used for a presentation at the next meeting.
Supporters wishing to have their name added should contact Petre.

Petre's work had demonstrated that with a 3 Peak Impulse Response model he has been able to adjust delay and tap weights to acheive a good fit with impulse responses taken from the Cambridge fiber model.

Now need to understand how many and which impulses we need to represent a sufficient range of appropriate stessors. First pass thinking is exploring a post-cursor, pre-cursor and symmetrical impulse response. Need to also understand the impact of simplifying the impulse response to work with fixed delays.

5. Review work list for specific stressors:-
        a. Fiber loss/dispersion
        b. Connector loss/dispersion
        c. Time varying factors
        d. Modal noise
        e. RIN
        f. Jitter
        g. Optical signal conditioning.

Progress made on the following:-
        a. and in the future b. are covered by Petre's work
        c. little progress here. Need measurement data
        d. and e. being addressed by Infineon 
        f. Tom Lindsay has proposed that we test jitter with both a low and a high frequency sinusiodal sources. In order to simplify the stressed test he proposed that the low frequency test be a separate jitter test which is done on its own.
        g. Agreed that regular (Gigabit) mode coniditioning patch cord should be acceptable.

6. Planning for Ottawa meeting

Petre is going to present his work on the ISI generating block for the TP3 test.

ACTION: Mike to put together summary slide set for review at the next meeting (sept 21).