From: Jonathan Thatcher [mailto:jonathan.thatcher@IEEE.ORG]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 10:45 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GMMF@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [10GMMF] Dynamic test (was: TP3 3-impulse test proposa)l

As I walked through a data center this morning with thousands of cables
(very many MMF), it was obvious to me that the major case for movement
of
the fiber is the vibration caused by -- literally -- the 10's of
thousands
of fans (yes, it is the case that a relatively small number of these
affect
a specific fiber. I would guess this to be related to those that are
most
closely coupled. There may be as many as 100 of these).

Based on the grab the cable or cable bundle test and become one with the
fiber, it seems that the majority of the vibration occurs at the
connector
and within the first 10's of centimeters from the connector. This is not
what I first expected. It does make intuitive sense.

This vibration, of course, is continuous during the operation of the
equipment.

Presuming the vibration I can detect is sub 10KHz (more likely sub 1
KHz),
it represents a whole lot of bits per vibration period.

I have no way to validate this. But, I presume that since there is no
attempt to design it out there may well be a sampling of these that are
actually vibrating at a harmonic with respect to the cable/connector
assembly.

Ain't life fun.

jonathan