Re: [10GMMF] TP3 3-impulse test proposal

Joerg,
I agree that we should strive for simplicity in test methodology.  But this should not be at the expense of rigor.

I do not doubt that you have observed the pulse shapes you state.  But it is not at all obvious that selecting specific surrogates, such as those consisting of three impulses, is sufficiently rigorous.  If all the test is intended to do is probe how quickly an EDC device can track changes in waveform, then something even simpler could be used.  However, if the purpose is to see how the device behaves not only in regard to its adjustment speed but also to its ability to follow waveform shape variations, then waveform variety must be included.   The possible exception is to show that, independent of EDC architecture and design trade-offs, a specific class of waveforms represents the most rigorous case.  I don't believe that anyone has demonstrated that yet.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar
SYSTIMAX® SOLUTIONS
1300 East Lookout Drive
Richardson, TX 75082
Phone:  972.792.3155
Fax:      972.792.3111
eMail:   pkolesar@systimax.com

"Joerg-R. Kropp" <Joerg.Kropp@INFINEON.COM>
Sent by: owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG

09/22/2004 03:42 AM
Please respond to
"IEEE P802.3aq 10GBASE-LRM" <stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG>

STDS-802-3-10GMMF@listserv.ieee.org
cc
Subject
Re: [10GMMF] TP3 3-impulse test proposal

John,
I agree to your statement. Our observations in the lab (with standard
offset launch patchcords as well as precise controlled offset lauch by
micro manipulator) show , that the pulses appear in the form Gaussian
like for many cases. But we also observe  superimposed 2- or 3-impulse
like shapes with pre- and/or post-cursors.
Therefore it seems adequate to me use a 3-impulse model. Keep it simple
as possible.
Joerg