Re: [10GMMF] Polarization effects for 10GBASE-LRM

RESEND of my note which was corrupted so it missed discussion of the Laguerre-Gauss vs Gauss-Hermite modes.  I don't understand why there would be a difference in the mode delays which would show up as the polarization is changed, if the fiber is circularly symmetric and there is no tilt in the launch optics. I need to replot David's figure 3 for the Laguerre-Gauss modes & show what they look like  in that equivalent system.

-----Original Message-----
From: Abbott, John S Dr
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 10:59 AM
To: 'IEEE P802.3aq 10GBASE-LRM'; STDS-802-3-10GMMF@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [10GMMF] Polarization effects for 10GBASE-LRM

It is my impression from reading David's note and from rereading these older references that if one looks at the modes in the Laguerre-Gauss framework as we usually do, that the individual modes within a mode group vary in two distinct ways.  There is a radial component and in fact a single axisymmetric mode in every other mode group, and there are the spiral or azimuthal modes in every group after the fundamental mode. In the Laguerre-Gauss framework the radially symmetric modes are not affected by polarization or the position of the input spot, while the azimuthal modes are actually "two" separate modes with a sine or cosine dependence.  The Infineon calculations and also David's note show that the relative power in the sine mode or the cosine mode depends on either the polarization or the location of the input spot azimuthally around the fiber, and the intensity distribution in a fixed lab coordinate system will vary as either is changed. I disagree with David's comment w!
 hich Stefano asks about in (2) be
        Within the Laguerre-Gaussian formulation the variation in mode delays between individual modes in the mode group has to do with different radial distributions of the individual modes.  The Gaussian-Hermite basis functions are equivalent but I think they do not add clarity to this specific feature.