Re: [10GMMF] Polarization effects for 10GBASE-LRM

At the 10/25 Task 4 Meeting David asked for comments on his notes.
A. I've attached a  *.pdf rather than a long email.  I am curious about plotting figure 3b in  a different way to see if the two Hermite Gauss modes HMG(2,0)+HMG(0,2) show up as having a constant total power.  This is curiously related to discussions we have had in Task4 on coherent and incoherent modes:
        HMG(2,0)^2 + HMG(0,2)^2 does not stay constant with polarization;
        (HMG(2,0)+HMG(0,2))^2 does stay constant, because it is proportional {I think} to the nu=0 radial mode for the group in the Laguerre-Gauss formulation.

B. I worry about some of the conclusions because I think the degenerate modes all have the same propagation constant & mode delays if the profile is axisymmetric and one uses the scalar wave equation -- so there can be no effect upon the impulse response by changing the polarization angle, since it would seem to merely shift power between the degenerate modes.

I continue to be very curious about the experimental results.

John A.

Polarization_effects_JSA_1026.pdf