All - here are my notes for today's (10/28) call. Feedback would be
Greg Lecheminant, Agilent T&M
Pavel Zivny, Tektronix
Tom Lindsay, ClariPhy
Andre Van Schyndel, Bookham
Piers Dawe, Agilent
Nick Weiner, Phyworks
John Ewen, JDSU
Tom Whitehead, Emcore
Others? Please let me know.
Approved, per below.
- Andre invited feedback on the list of laser non-idealities sent to the
reflector this week.
- Spent most of the time discussing the work plan/outline I sent to the
reflector 10/26 for testing numerous waveforms for penalties, etc.
- Nick said that work should also look for direct relationships between
TP2 properties and penalties, such as rise/fall times, overshoot,
asymmetries, etc. Piers added that eye diagrams should be captured for the
- Discussed if relationship between Gaussian pulse shape and more
realistic waveshapes had been established - no. Tom's thoughts are that a
relationship could be established based on an agreed reference Rx, but this
has not been established. Piers said that it is important to know if ranking
(fiber vs. penalty) retained the same order over the Cambridge set with
various waveforms and EDC architectures (I probably did not record this
right - Piers?).
- It will be more clear what E/O waveshape should be used for TP3 testing
after these tests/sims are completed.
- General agreement that 4 samples per bit was not adequate, that
8-16 was the right range.
- General agreement that PRBS10 is better than PRBS7 for this work, due to
Tx/channel/Rx memories, but some may be limited by capture record length (8
samples per UI x 1023 UI = 8184 points, but some scopes are limited to
- Do both 220 and 300 meters sims.
- Run multiple EDC configurations to learn more about penalties and
- Nov presentations
- Work required is clear. Objective is to do as much of the plan as
possible and present any conclusions in Nov. TBD.
- I also plan on presenting a modified version of
TP2/TP3/budget slides discussed previously on the calls.
- Others should begin thinking about TP2 presentations.
Any comments or changes, please let me know.