From: owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Tom Lindsay
Sent: 29. oktober 2004 01:16
To: STDS-802-3-10GMMF@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: [10GMMF] Notes for TP2 call 10/28

All - here are my notes for today's (10/28) call. Feedback would be appreciated.

Attendance:

Greg Lecheminant, Agilent T&M

Pavel Zivny, Tektronix

Tom Lindsay, ClariPhy

Andre Van Schyndel, Bookham

Piers Dawe, Agilent

Nick Weiner, Phyworks

John Ewen, JDSU

Tom Whitehead, Emcore

Others? Please let me know.

Agenda

Approved, per below.

Discussions

  • Andre invited feedback on the list of laser non-idealities sent to the reflector this week.
  • Spent most of the time discussing the work plan/outline I sent to the reflector 10/26 for testing numerous waveforms for penalties, etc.
    • Nick said that work should also look for direct relationships between TP2 properties and penalties, such as rise/fall times, overshoot, asymmetries, etc. Piers added that eye diagrams should be captured for the same purposes.
    • Discussed if relationship between Gaussian pulse shape and more realistic waveshapes had been established - no. Tom's thoughts are that a relationship could be established based on an agreed reference Rx, but this has not been established. Piers said that it is important to know if ranking (fiber vs. penalty) retained the same order over the Cambridge set with various waveforms and EDC architectures (I probably did not record this right - Piers?).
    • It will be more clear what E/O waveshape should be used for TP3 testing after these tests/sims are completed.
    • General agreement that 4 samples per bit was not adequate, that 8-16 was the right range.
    • General agreement that PRBS10 is better than PRBS7 for this work, due to Tx/channel/Rx memories, but some may be limited by capture record length (8 samples per UI x 1023 UI = 8184 points, but some scopes are limited to ~4000).
    • Do both 220 and 300 meters sims.
    • Run multiple EDC configurations to learn more about penalties and sensitivities.
  • Nov presentations
    • Work required is clear. Objective is to do as much of the plan as possible and present any conclusions in Nov. TBD.
    • I also plan on presenting a modified version of TP2/TP3/budget slides discussed previously on the calls.
    • Others should begin thinking about TP2 presentations.

Next call