We plan to run simulations using various
Tx realistic characteristics (rate equations+ Gaussian etc) for support of the
objective as listed below. The question is what are ‘realistic’ characteristics?
A starting point could be that they barely pass the eye mask (this leads to ~47
ps rise/fall time). Typical 10G Txs have, however, lower rise-fall time than the
~47ps since a large margin is desired. One could argue that a Tx/Rx with ~47ps
rise/fall time is already a ‘relaxed’ transmitter (which the budget
may not allow for).
Any discussion/direction on what ‘realistic’
characteristics are in order to focus the simulations?
Any plans on distributing the various Tx
waveforms that have been generated/captured by Clarify and others?
Behalf Of Tom Lindsay
Sent: 29. oktober 2004 01:16
Subject: [10GMMF] Notes for TP2
All - here are my notes for today's (10/28) call. Feedback would
Greg Lecheminant, Agilent T&M
Andre Van Schyndel, Bookham
Others? Please let me know.
- Andre invited feedback on the list of laser
non-idealities sent to the reflector this week.
- Spent most of the time discussing the work
plan/outline I sent to the reflector 10/26 for testing numerous waveforms
for penalties, etc.
- Nick said that work should also look for direct
relationships between TP2 properties and penalties, such as rise/fall
times, overshoot, asymmetries, etc. Piers added that eye diagrams should
be captured for the same purposes.
- Discussed if relationship between Gaussian pulse
shape and more realistic waveshapes had been established - no. Tom's
thoughts are that a relationship could be established based on an agreed
reference Rx, but this has not been established. Piers said that it is
important to know if ranking (fiber vs. penalty) retained the same order
over the Cambridge set with various waveforms and EDC architectures (I
probably did not record this right - Piers?).
- It will be more clear what E/O waveshape should
be used for TP3 testing after these tests/sims are completed.
- General agreement that 4 samples per bit
was not adequate, that 8-16 was the right range.
- General agreement that PRBS10 is better than
PRBS7 for this work, due to Tx/channel/Rx memories, but some may be
limited by capture record length (8 samples per UI x 1023 UI = 8184
points, but some scopes are limited to ~4000).
- Do both 220 and 300 meters sims.
- Run multiple EDC configurations to learn more
about penalties and sensitivities.
- Nov presentations
- Work required is clear. Objective is to do as
much of the plan as possible and present any conclusions in Nov. TBD.
- I also plan on presenting a modified version of
TP2/TP3/budget slides discussed previously on the calls.
- Others should begin thinking about TP2
- Date: Thurs, 11/06/04 (regular day/time)
- Proposed agenda (for 10/28)
- Review previous notes (above)
- Outline for TP2 waveform analysis (sent 10/26
- "Graphical view" (mask) progress?
- More on budget and metrics?
Any comments or changes, please let me know.