From: owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Yu Sun
Sent: Donnerstag, 4. November 2004 21:28
To: STDS-802-3-10GMMF@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [10GMMF] Re feedback Polarisation effect and my HMG
calculations

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your comments.

For a perfect radial symmetric waveguide, the change of input
polarization varies the energy of the degenerate modes (the sin mode and
cos mode) in one mode. The total power of the mode is a constant. The
root of the polarization effect is the imperfection of the fibers, the
asymmetric fiber core, the perturbation of the index profile, as well as
the external stress. These imperfections introduce the modal selective
loss, mode coupling and power diffusion in the multimode fibers. The
exact mathematic expression of these behaviors is complicated. However,
the common point of these behaviors is that the energy in the modes is
redistributed and how the energy is redistributed depends on the spatial
distribution of the modes and their initial power partition.
Empirically, the combination of polarization induced energy transfer
among the degenerate modes and modal selective lose, such as an offset
at the connector or detector, resembles the experimental observation.

I hope this make some sense. I would appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

Yu