From: Sudeep Bhoja [mailto:sbhoja@BIGBEARNETWORKS.COM]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 5:39 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10GMMF@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [10GMMF] TP3 Meeting minutes, November 23rd

Lew,

This in response to your Comment #1 below.

The PIE-D equations from bhoja_1_0704 targets an infinite length DFE that minimizes mean square error (MMSE). MMSE Equalizers perform better than Zero forcing Equalizers. Conventional adaptation algorithms such as LMS, minimize mean squared error.

If we agree on an MMSE based infinite length DFE, there are
two variables that enter into the calculation:

1) The first variable is easy and follows directly from the link budget.

sigma^2 -> This is the Electrical noise floor at the input
of the ideal EDC and is easily derived from the link budget.
We had previously set sigma^2 = 10^(-17-2*6)/10 since we had allocated 6dB of total dispersion budget.

However since the connector loss was updated to 1.5dB from 2dB Page 5 in lawton_1_1104 allocated 6.5dB to the total dispersion budget.

Hence we need to update sigma^2 = 10^(-17-2*6.5)/10 = 10^(-30/10) in our PIE-D calculations.

2) The rise time used in deriving the fiber pulse response in bhoja_1_0104 was set to 47.1ps (20-80% Gaussian). This number was chosen from -LR.

For the purpose of the TP3 stressed tests, we only need to represent the rise time of the test setup of Fig 68.6 in D0.2. For this purpose 47.1ps is probably an adequate rise time.

Best Regards,

Sudeep