Re: [10GMMF] TP3 Meeting minutes, November 23rd

Lew, Martin-

Along the lines that we have been discussing in the conf calls, I'd suggest treating the link budget and compliance testing slightly differently.

Regarding link budget considerations, I believe there was a clear consensus across module, IC and component vendors within this group, several months back, on defining an "equalizer metric or bound" which was relatively implementation independent, so as not to constrain implementation choices & innovation, and to pad it with an "implementation penalty" corresponding to worst-case scenarios & finiteness aspects. We have the PIE-D metric, which may be somewhat constraining in subsuming a DFE-based architecture. This has worked out well so far. Note that a lot of the empirical data presented by at least one IC vendor during the IEEE meetings was using an unspecified equalizer but the PIE-D was always used as a reference. There may be different ways of achieving performance close to PIE-D, within a certain range, which may move away from the classical and strict x-tap FFE with z tap-spacing and y-tap FB. I do not expect it to be easy to come to a general consensus towards select!
 ing x,y,z - which may delay things.

Regarding compliance testing, as has been empirically (with h/w) shown within the IEEE meetings from Jan'04 and along the lines of Petre's Sept contribution, that an FIR filter (possibly cascaded with a LPF filter) can emulate the MMF channels closely. I'd agree with Lew's & Petre's suggestion to use an FIR filter with 4 peaks (taps) across a maximum 3 UI (TBD) with a certain PIE-D (~4.5 dB as been discussed in the last few calls) to set the reference compliance channel but allow for any implementation resulting in a waveform within a certain MSE from this reference. Some of the above numbers might need further validation.

Regards-
Abhijit

------------------------------------
Scintera Networks