From: Piers Dawe [mailto:piers_dawe@AGILENT.COM]
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 8:35 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GMMF@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [10GMMF] Optical Cable references in LRM Draft

Steve, thanks for providing us with this information.

At the last meeting, I said that your proposal to change from "The fiber optic cable shall meet the requirements of IEC 60793-2, ..." to "the fiber optic cable shall meet the requirements of IEC 60794-2-11,..." needed more study.  One reason is that your proposed wording was restrictive rather than permissive.  It wouldn't mean "cable to IEC 60794-2-11 is OK", it would mean "any other cable is not OK".  I do not believe that.  For example, IEC 60794-2-11 specifies "indoor optical fibre cables".  We don't want to forbid people extending Ethernet to outdoor use!

We are constrained by the past.  The main purpose of the 802.3aq project is to allow people to re-use existing cable plant, which could be old.  IEC 60794-2-11 is very new (published March 2004) and it would be unreasonable to expect users to consider some kind of qualification after the event.  We are pretty much stuck with using the specifications of 52.14.1 (mentioning IEC 60793-2).  We can consider adding a new permissive statement saying that cable to IEC 60794-2-11 MAY be used - but see below.

I notice that IEC 60794-2-11 is a CABLE specification while IEC 60793-2 is a FIBRE specification.  While I could imagine that for electrical cabling, it would be hard to make such a separation, for us the optical transmission characteristics are pretty much defined by the (fiber) parameters as e.g. in table 68-6.  I don't think we need to define the cable: we (802.3aq) aren't defining structured cabling nor attempting to regulate the installation industry - we let someone else do that e.g. through ISO/IEC 11801.

To judge the appropriateness of IEC 60794-2-11 you'll have to give us more information.  What does it specify?  The weight of a cable?  Color?  Strength?  Temperature and environmental ratings?  This clause following others (52.11.1) basically mentions "reasonable conditions" and says that the detail is beyond the scope of this standard.  So I don't yet see what benefit IEC 60794-2-11 brings to this clause.

By the way, what does the "PAS" in "IEC/PAS 60794-2-11" (from the IEC web site) mean?

In your email below you say "two fiber types that we call out, i.e. 60793-2-10 and 60793-2-50".  Did you mean -50 "Optical fibres - Part 2-50: Product specifications - Sectional specification for class B single-mode fibres" or another part?  Anyway, we don't yet have specific references to parts of 60793-2 in the draft, though we mention 60793-2-10 in the objectives.  Do we need to add IEC 60793-2-10 to the list of references or is the reference to IEC 60793-2 enough?  And then would we need to refer to an old version of IEC 60793-2-10?

Thanks,

Piers