From: owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Paul Kolesar
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:49 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GMMF@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [10GMMF] Task 2 and 4 Launch study group -minutes of Jan 12th meeting

Jonathan,
in the last line of your minutes you state that no suggestions were made regarding an alternative to the EF launch metric.  On the contrary I did make a suggestion to use Mode Power Distribution or Mode Transfer Function.   MPD is the normalized mode group power as a function of normalized mode group number.   MTF is the normalized mode power as a funtion of normalized mode number.   Using either of these, it is possible to define a mask, similar to a waveform mask, that defines the bondary between acceptable and unacceptable power distributions.  Instruments are available from multiple suppliers that measure EF, MPD, MTF.   I took an action item to provide references to Lew and Jim for these, which I have done.  Please reflect this in the minutes.

Because the MPD and MTF measurements provide power distribution as a function of modes, it can be much more precise compared to EF which defines power as a function of space.  The present EF specifications can be converted to MPD or MTF masks, but the boundaries would be very liberal.  If one wished to hone-in on, for example, a particular vortex launch, a portion of this passing EF space would be selected that more precisely defined the vortex.

Paul Kolesar

Jonathan King <jking@BIGBEARNETWORKS.COM>
Sent by: owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG

01/17/2005 07:58 PM

Please respond to
"IEEE P802.3aq 10GBASE-LRM" <stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG>

STDS-802-3-10GMMF@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG

cc

Subject

Re: [10GMMF] Task 2 and 4 Launch study group -minutes of Jan 12th meeting

Jan 12th meeting minutes attached
please let me know of any comments as soon as you can
Also, if you wish to,  please comment on the draft launch
recommendations table rev0.2 sent out last week !
Next meeting is on 19th Jan 9.30am PCT, same call details as usual (I'll
send a reminder tomorrow).
best wishes

Jonathan

tel: 1 408 524 5110
e-mail: jking@bigbearnetworks.com
fax: 1 408 739 0568

Jonathan King
Director, Optical Systems
BigBear Networks
345 Potrero Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085

[attachment "Task2&4 mins-Jan12-05.ppt" deleted by Paul F Kolesar/CommScope]