Re: [10GMMF] TP3: Request for suggested stressor levels

Jim (and the rest),

I would like to suggest that we first agree on criteria that the proposals should meet. All proposals should include description what the test is stressing and how it would work for a broad class of EDC chips. I strongly believe that in this process of developing the standard, we have thoroughly investigated the channel and used advanced models (that were made available to the standard in various forms) to include degradations originating in the optical portion of the link. While doing that, we argued about percentages and statistics, while in the meantime we have heard very little about the EDC models. The performance of the entire link depends on ALL components, and hence, there is little benefit into going into very detailed channel models, without using models for the rest of the link components that give the same level of accuracy as the fiber model. At the end, the overall accuracy will be determined by the least accurate component model.

Based on my limited experience with EDC chips, I believe that the current EDC chip models are rudimentary (I would compare them to a Gaussian approximation for the MMF impulse response) and that the standard can not develop the stressor levels with confidence without better models. I would only commend Clariphy (Norm and Tom) for coming forward with a model that is one step forward towards our goal of a robust and cost effective standard. However, I would like to stress that this is only the first step, and we need more openness from the EDC vendors. In particular, I would like to see the now unnamed implementation penalties be assigned names and have models that address them. Those models should also address the interdependence with the rest of the penalties that we have so far taken into account (and that we just added). What I say is that the total of the all implementation  penalties in magnitude may be OK, but their individual distribution may need some tweaking.

Without better knowledge what the EDC degradations are, and what parameters affect them,  we can't develop cost effective stress tests and there will always be the danger that something slips through the tests that should not.

So, I believe that we have to discuss these issues first, and then it will be easy to determine the stressor levels.

Regards,

Peter

P.S. I understand the desire of the EDC chip vendors to protect their IP. However, I think that at this point we do not have the sufficient level of details to develop the necessary stressor levels.

Petar Pepeljugoski
IBM Research
P.O.Box 218 (mail)
1101 Kitchawan Road, Rte. 134 (shipping)
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

e-mail: petarp@us.ibm.com
phone: (914)-945-3761
fax:        (914)-945-4134

Jim McVey <jim.mcvey@FINISAR.COM>
Sent by: owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@IEEE.ORG

03/22/2005 06:34 PM
Please respond to
"IEEE P802.3aq 10GBASE-LRM"

STDS-802-3-10GMMF@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
cc
Subject
[10GMMF] TP3: Request for suggested stressor levels

Hello TP3 Members,

Per our teleconference today (Tuesday March 22), I am soliciting inputs for the TP3 stressor level.  This stress level should be consistent with the goal of practical implementation at reasonable cost and power.

Please include the rational for your suggestion.

I will summarize the suggestions identifying them as "Suggestion A", "Suggestion B", etc. with no mention of names.  My goal is to publish this summary by close of business Thursday, March 24, 2005.

As discussed in the call, this solicitation is aimed at getting full input from the EDC manufacturers, but suggested values from any interested party are encouraged as well.

Please send your comments to:

jim.mcvey@finisar.com

Thank you very much,

- Jim McVey