From: Lingle, Jr, Robert (Robert) [mailto:rlingle@OFSOPTICS.COM]
Sent: vrijdag 22 april 2005 6:22
To: STDS-802-3-10GMMF@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [10GMMF] channel models based on measured DMD

Dear Jon,

RE: the 1998 OFS fiber model based on measured DMD data (>5km lengths)

I believe that the internal evidence within the slides in
balemarthy_1_0105
plus the OFL-BW data vs. length data that I put on the website are
sufficient to make the arguments that:

a) mode-mixing is in the weak regime,
b) the offset launch bandwidth statistics as well as the sharp features
in
the DMD traces in balemarthy_1_05 strongly support the appropriateness
of
using measured DMD data of length >5km to model legacy fiber,
c) the weak mode-mixing in the 1998 OFS fiber model from measured DMD
may
serve to partially approximate the fact that we cannot include any
effect of
connectors in the formalism of our model.  We believe that two
connectors
will have greater mode conversion impact than the weak mode-mixing that
is
occuring.

MAIN POINT: Even if you still somewhat discount our number of 5.2dB for
99%tile PIE-D coverage, it strongly indicates that one should not
suppose
the installed base to be one bit easier equalize than the Gen67YY MC
model.

DETAILS BELOW
1. We agreed from day one that there is SOME non-zero mode-mixing.

The OFL-BW data with gamma near 1.0 (NOT close to 0.5) that I put in the
public area indicates that mode mixing is in the WEAK regime.  As
indicated
previously, a significant reason BESIDES mode-mixing that gamma < 1 is
differential mode attenuation (DMA) which serves to reduce the impact of
unruly high order modes.

2. This weak mode mixing will have similar effect to that of CONNECTORS
which, of course, scramble mode excitation locally in the neighborhood
of
the single mode launch. The 1998 OFS measured fiber model does NOT
include
connectors, but it does have weak mode mixing, giving a similar effect.

You may ask how we know that mode mixing is not having a much larger
effect
than that of connectors?  See next point.

3. I again reference the chart of OFFSET LAUNCH BW (OSL-BW) in slide 11
of
balemarthy_1_0105 (Vancouver). It shows that the OFS fiber model has
1.3%
fibers below 500 MHz-km for OSL-BW with the standard patchcord, which is
consistent with historical expectation of ~1% below 500MHz-km from
previous
GbE studies in 802.3.  This seems to strongly supports the idea that
mode-mixing is not making our model pessimistic.

4. I again point to the sharp features in the long length DMD of slide 7
of
balemarthy_1_0105 (Vancouver).

Robert

Robert Lingle, Jr, Manager
Fiber Design and Transmission Simulation
OFS R&D, Atlanta, GA