Re: [10GMMF] TP3 noise discussion

FYI, if you change L8 to 1.5 dB for connectors (total insertion loss appears in column C), then call X44 shows ~2 dB for implementation penalty. It's a bit higher because the predicted noise penalty of 0.8 dB is a bit lower than what the earlier budgets allocated.

Tom

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: [10GMMF] TP3 noise discussion

All -

I need to run all this past Paul, but here is my initial assessment using this tool. I'm not sure how accurate it is given the many changes since last May, but I suspect it is still the best tool we have.
  • Use Tab 1310_NRZ_10.
  • Change cell P12 to 870 (the effective modal bandwidth given our selected launch conditions). This results in an ISI penalty of 4.52 dB at 300 meters. I have to ask Paul if this is equivalent to PIE-D.
  • RIN is set at -128 dB/Hz, which is what we should be using for the TP3 test for RIN. In column S, you can see that the RIN penalty starts at ~0.1 dB (not 0.4) and increases as the eye closes with distance. It is ~0.3 dB at 300 meters, given the modal bandwidth above.
  • For MN, if Petar thinks 0.5 dB is the right value of penalty, then we can emulate this (with a noise generator at the source) with noise density of -126 dB/Hz.
  • These two noises can be combined into one noise source where Qsq integrates to ~18 (not 11.5). This is equivalent to -124 dB/Hz. The resulting combined penalty is slightly more than 0.8 dB. Fits nicely within earlier budgeting.
    • Note - to get Qsq = 11.5, noise density ~-120 dB/Hz, and the spreadsheet shows this would create a noise power penalty of 3.36 dB! Obviously this would be a problem... Big difference from 0.8 dB.
    • Note - these values may need some minor tweaking to properly accommodate the noise bandwidth of the BT4 filter, which is 4.7% higher than the 3 dB bandwidth.

Comments?
Tom