Re: [10GMMF] Corrected Monte Carlo Model as LRM standard model for OM1

Hi Robert
thanks for your e-mail, and the summary of the sensitivity analysis to
OFL Bw cutoff

I personally still have a few objections to the revision of GEN67YY you
are proposing.  I have two main objections and a couple of perhaps less
significant ones, in order of significance:

1) Its not been 'baselined' against other applications: GEN67YY has been
shown to be largely consistent with preceding applications which have
been successfully proven in the field (Ewen_1_1104.pdf).  I could not
support transitioning to a model which has not undergone similar
scrutiny.

2) Gamma factor scaling from 6-8km fibre length measurements has not
been validated with short fibre (300m) measurements. I've raised this
issues a few times, but to date it has not been addressed; I apologize
for repeating myself.

the ones I'm less sure of are

3) I am not convinced that gamma correction is as straight forward for
OSL launches as with OFL:
My thinking is this: there are three mode mixing regimes -
zero mode coupling, which corresponds best to the <300m LRM application,
weak mode coupling (where significant power couples into initially
unexcited modes) which  corresponds to several km or so of fibre , and
strong mode mixing (significant power couples back and forth between
modes); a fibre would be expected to transition from zero mode mixing at
short fibre lengths,  through weak mode mixing at intermediate lengths,
to strong mode mixing at long lengths.

Normalized OFL bandwidth would be expected to increase monatonically
with fibre length, because all modes are excited and any degree of mode
mixing would tend to average out propagation delay differences between
modes.

However, for launches exciting just a few modes (eg OSL), weak mode
mixing couples power into initially unexcited modes, resulting in an
increase in measured propagation delay spread, and a decrease in
normalized bandwidth with length - the opposite of effect on OFL.
(One symptom of weak mode mixing would be an emerging correlation
between measured bandwidths or PIE-D for OSL launches with different
offset values - I believe this was visible in the OFS 1998 fibre set
Lingle_1_0305.pdf)

So I think that whereas the correction for mode mixing effects for OFL
may be relatively straightforward (albeit requiring an educated guess
which requires  validation with measurements), the necessary length
correction for mode mixing effects on an OSL would be difficult to
predict, and may require the opposite of that required for OFL.

4) The effect of OFL bandwidth manufacturing margin should probably be
included in any model revision - the installed base model in GEN67YY is
sharply truncated to 500MHz.km.   In practice, there would be very few
fibres actually at 500MHz.km, because standard manufacturing margining
practices would dictate a test criteria at a higher level than the spec
limit to guarantee compliance of any individual measured fibre.  The
effect on the ensemble of fibres is a shift to a higher cutoff OFL Bw.
This effect would be similar in magnitude to the sensitivity analysis of
the lower OFL Bw cutoff, which you summarize below, and like the
wavelength issue would probably result in a 0.1-0.2dB correction in
PIE-D values, depending on the details.

best wishes

 Jonathan

tel: 1 408 524 5110