RE: 1310nm vs. 1550nm window for 10GbE

Hmmm.  I just assumed that 802.3 HSSG would be looking at 1550 solutions as
well as 1310 and 850

I agree with you on longer haul links it makes a lot more sense to operate
at 1550

I am not a big fan of EFFA pumping.  It significantly raises the overall
system cost. It only makes sense in very dense wave long haul systems
typically deployed by carriers.

CWDM with 10xGbE transcivers should be significantly cheaper.  That is
another reason why I think there will be a big market for 10xGbE with all
those transceivers every 30-80km on a CWDM system. However there is a
tradeoff.  There is greater probablity of laser failure with many
transceivers and the need for many spares.  I figure somewhere between 4-8
wavelengths on a CWDM and transceivers is the breakpoint where it is
probably more economical to go to DWDM with EDFA. Also EDFA is protocol and
bit rate transparent.

An EDFA will cost about $60k.  But EDFA window is very small, so wavelength
spacing is very tight requiring expensive filters and very stable,
temperature compensated lasers at each repeater site.  Also laser power has
to be carefully maintained within 1 db otherwise you will get gain tilt in
EDFAs. A loss of a signal laser can throw the whole system off, that is why
you need SONET protection swicthing. But companies are developing feedback
techniques to adjust power on remaining lasers to solve this problem.

A single 10xGbE transceiver will cost $10K??? Probably less.  So 6 10xGbE
transceivers will equal one EDFA.  No problems with gain tilt.  If you lose
one laser you only lose that channel, not the whole system.  Protection
switching not as critical, etc

Bill

Bill St Arnaud
Director Network Projects