Re[2]: 1310nm vs. 1550nm -> Eye Safety + Attenuation

     that this would only be used in a small number of cases with a serial
     10GbE approach.  I don't think it needs to be a core concern of the
     group, but in some dark fiber trunking applications it can be useful.

     I am most concerned about wavelengths vs. eye safety, and wavelengths
     vs. fiber attenuation.  This could end up being a real killer.  Four
     lasers @ 850nm or 1310nm put out quite a bit of light in an eye
     sensitive range.  As I remember, four lasers at 1550nm offer a lot
     more margin.  A single source at 1550nm could be very strong and still
     meet the eye safe requirements.  This increase in power combined with
     lower fiber attenuation would reduce some of the link distance
     problems that we're bound to run into.

     Also, long term I can't see how [4 lasers and an optical mux] + [4
     photodiodes and an optical de-mux] would be better than a single
     source and photodiode.  There is a lot of difficult packaging involved
     in the CWDM approach.  I think the CWDM solution offers a quicker path
     to market because most of that technology is available today. But long
     term a single 10 Gb source (uncooled DFB without isolator) has a lot
     of advantages.  It is intrinsically much simpler.  I think the board
     layout and chip-sets will eventually support this as well.  If the
     standard wanted to be able to scale beyond 10 gigs, even the serial
     10Gb solution could allow further CWDM scaling.

     Regards,
     Bryan Gregory
     bgregory@xxxxxxxxx
     630/512-8520