RE: WWDM vs. 10Gb/s serial

Brian:

I disagree with your suggestion that long haul 10xGbE is 6-10 years out.
6-10 months is more likely.

Already a "major" ISP has deployed several long haul 1xGbE CWDM systems up
to 1000 km in length using a combination of GbE transceivers and optics from
Pirelli.  In one installation from Quebec city to New York City it took 2
engineers in a Volkswagon bus 2 days to install this whole system.  On a
parallel set of fibers a more traditional SONET/DWDM system was installed by
the carrier.  It took them 3 months and a team of engineers to install that
system.

The economics of long haul GbE is so compelling that I personally believe it
is this marketplace rather than the LAN that will drive 10xGbE development.
I  know of at least a dozen 1xGbE CWDN long haul systems that are currently
being deployed.  All of these users would quickly move to 10xGbE if it was
available.

Several equipment suppliers are shipping CWDM 1xGbE systems that will go as
far as 400km

In long haul 10xGbE the cost comparison is with SONET, not LAN costs.

Bill

Bill St Arnaud
Director Network Projects
CANARIE