RE: WWDM vs. 10Gb/s serial

>Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:07:29 -0700
>To: elg@xxxxxxxxxxx (Ed Grivna)
>From: Paul Bottorff <Paul_Bottorff>
>Subject: RE: WWDM vs. 10Gb/s serial
>
>Ed:
>
>Granted if you know the state of the scrambler, the polynomial, and can
insert data in sequence with the scrambler state, then a pattern of at most
2N bits will zero it, however these assumption are based on full knowledge
and access to the PHY by the source of data.

>If anything goes it is much easier to break the PHY by jamming a
screwdriver on the logic lines or pulling the wires out of the box.

>Cheers,
>
>Paul
>
>At 12:50 PM 5/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hi Paul,
>>
>>You misinterpreted what I said (or at least what I was trying to say).
>>Your referenced  process to clear out a scrambler is correct, however,
>>what I stated was that all it takes is on the order of 2n bits to clear
>>it out, IF (an important if) you hit the scrambler with the correct
>>set of bits.  In other words, if I know the PRESENT STATE of the scrambler
>>register bits, I can calculate a sequence of 2n bits which, when fed to the
>>scrambler WILL clear it out.  In reality this may only require n bits,
>>but its been a couple years since I went through the excercise.
>>
>>So, for any given state of the scrambler there is always a set of n bits
>>which will clear it out.
>>
>>-Ed Grivna
>>Cypress Semiconductor
>>

>>> Ed:
>>>
>>> The 2n bits is wrong. To zero out a scrambler of order n, you need a
>>> pattern of (2**n - 1) bits. For instance, lets consider the seventh-order
>>> frame synchronized scrambler that is being used by SONET. The
pseudo-random
>>> sequence generated by the scrambler repeats itself every (2**7 - 1 = 127)
>>> bit periods. Since the pseudo-random output of the seventh register is
>>> XORed with the payload data, a user could transmit a pattern that
>>> continuously repeats the 127-bit pattern from the seventh register of the
>>> SONET scrambler. When the pattern from the seventh register is aligned
with
>>> the 127-bit pattern from the malicious user, the line will see an all
zeros
>>> pattern.
>>>
>>> So, to zero out the scrambler, the user
>>> 1- must know the order of the scrambler and its polynomial
>>> 2- must have access to the whole payload envelop
>>> 3- must use a pattern of (2**n - 1) bits generated by the polynomial