RE: A telephony carrier industry perspective

Bill,

Internet IP will continue to be what the market requirements reflect.
Slow restoration times are acceptable in that environment. The UUNet
Long Haul GbE is part of what I am doing. I am the one that put the
Long Haul Optical switching/Metro DWDM/SONET DATS evaluation of GbE
together.

As a bit irony, dependable GbE is turning out to be less expensive
than undependable IP over TDM, ATM, or POS. Unless MPLS comes in a
respectable price break, GbE over Native Data SONET DATS will still be
less expensive.

In addition to being less expensive, GbE over Native Data SONET DATS
will provide "subscription control" though "flow control" That
"subscription control" will prevent over-subscribing the WAN links,
which is a big problem for enterprise data network designers and
architects.  Combine that with "priority queueing" and most of what
MPLS was supposed to do has already been accomplished by GbE.  You
guys as IEEE have done a greater job than you knew.

Dependable, high quality transport of Native data traffic such as GbE
and 10GbE is probably going to be a different market, one that "best
effort" is unacceptable to. If there is a market that provides the
profit margin that will sustain 10GbE, it will not be the Internet as
it is today.

I do know that I have been given the requiement that carriers can not
support a data service over long haul systems that does not provide
"SONET like" functionality. The reason that I joined this study group
is to provide that insight to the standards developers. If that is GbE
or 10GbE over SONET then the issue is already resolved. All that
remains is to determine what the LAN application requirements are,
then the standard can be defined.