RE: A telephony carrier industry perspective

Ed,
	Other telco standards bodies (T1X1, IETF, etc.) are already dealing
with these issues. There is no need for the IEEE to reinvent new solutions.
With respect to the cost of scrambling hardware, the cost is trivial
compared with the cost of WAN line systems (DWDMs, optical amplifiers,
low-chirp wavelength-locked transmitters, etc.). In fact, the cost of those
all go up with the bit rate, or worse the square of the bit rate. I'm not
sure what software would be changed, but the cost of documentation and
training would go up with a new block-coded system since this is not the LAN
industry we're talking about, it's the telco industry, and they are already
very familiar with OC192/STM64.

Drew
Ciena Corporation                 Email: ddp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Core Switching Division                 Tel: 408-865-6202
10201 Bubb Road                         Fax: 408-865-6291
Cupertino, CA 95014              Cell/Pager: 408-829-8298