RE: IEEE 802.3 Requirements

Michael:

I agree with your statement completely.  If we decide to support the entire
installed base of MM fiber, we will need to either "over-engineer" the PHY to
work almost all the time, find simple way to qualify the link, or establish some
sort of auto-negotiation so the link comes up at 1 Gbps if the fiber cannot
support 10 Gbps.

We cannot rely on trial and error.  If DMD raises its hoary head again,
customers will balk at early adoption.

Bruce Tolley
Manager, Business Development
3Com Corp