RE: CRC check indication of bad fiber

Drew and Mick,
Your notion is interesting.  Certainly bad packet indications can be useful
measurements of quality, but of what?  As Mick says, the architecture and
the coding scheme convolve these measures such that they become almost
irrelevant.

In todays highly switched, non-shared network links, CRC errors are more
likely to indicate a problem with the source or switching equipment then
with the link.  The coding scheme may or may not yield a run of errors based
on the CRC error, depending on where in the process the error took place
(before or after the coding).  Furthermore code errors are usually detected
up front in the PHY process and may (if so designed) issue signals to the
MAC layer about the channel.  Usually these channel indications are not
gradual and graceful, on the contrary they are usually a foggy statement
that the channel is not useable.  Why foggy?  Because they need to be
resolved against other indications in order to settle the proximate cause of
failure.  For example a sync loss in an 8B10B system can be an indication of
complete and abrupt link failure, or merely a bit error in the 10B symbol.
If the latter, then the system will quickly recover sync at the next comma,
but by that time the Phy state machine will take the link down, and the Mac
will have to restart it.

So, we come back to the issue that to verify the link operation, we have two
options.  If we want to do it dynamically, while the link is running, we
have to inject some kind of secondary channel or test packets and measure
them.  Or we can do it only upon link startup, at the full 10Gig rate for
some few seconds or minutes and assess the quality of the link at that time
using some clever patterns.  Beyond that level of built in testing, we can
employ specific test equipment.