RE: CRC check indication of bad fiber

Hi, I am treading on thin ice here, but I think that you may not be off the
hook yet.  The CRC is designed to detect up to (from memory...) 3 bit errors
in a packet.

I suppose that if a robust scrambler let through a packet that had more than
3 bits scrambled it is conceivable that the CRC might not detect it.

In the days of the 1Gig session, Howie Johnson went through an elaborate
proof to show that the underlying code would catch any such escape
condition.  However, that was a block code with a strong inherent protection
of multibit errors.