From: Bob Mayer [mailto:bmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 1999 11:29 AM
To: Buckman, Lisa
Cc: 'msalzman@xxxxxxxxxx'; stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: more on : IEEE 802.3 Requirements

Lisa,

As I'm sure you know, the 160 MHz*km is the bandwidth spec for the 850nm
wavelength window.  Are you suggesting that we could reach 300m using WWDM
at
the shorter wavelength?  If you are, I am assuming you are recommending we
leverage off the TIA 2.2 groups work on characterizing link bandwidth based
on
conditioned launches.  Please confirm.

Or are you recommending using WWDM around 1310nm?  For 1310, I believe the
standard bandwidth for the cables in this wavelength window is 500 MHz*km.
Using the offset patch cord, I agree that 300m is a reasonable distance that
we
should be able to support.

If you are recommending WWDM at the 1550nm window, do you know what the
bandwidth spec is for standard 160/500 MHz*km cable is in that wavelength
window?

Just want to make sure I understand your proposal clearly.

Thanks,

Bob Mayer
Cielo Communications