Re: A telephony carrier industry perspective

Fred,

You might be surprised at how much TCP/IP is still being carried over
X.25 in third world countries.  The problem with X.25 is lack of
bandwidth.  While X.25 tends to prevent the loss of data, the bandwidth
restrictions cause applications to time out because of slow responce.
This gets really bad when there is too much traffic.  I worked on a
project in Mexico that had this problem.  The ISP that was using X.25
was moved to Frame Relay (FR), then to ATM when FR got too congested.

ATM allows Internet transport to create logical full mesh systems using
PVCs over a partial mesh of SONET circuits.  The PVCs allow traffic to
transit a site without doing the switching at layer 3.  This reduces the
amount of routing processing and thus tends to reduce latency at the
router/gateway nodes.

The complexity of creating and maintaining the PVC architecture is
becoming unworkable.  The dynamics of restoration processes between the
ATM and IP are more and more complex.  The extreem level of complexity
is limiting the scalablity of ATM for the core of the Internet.  Combine
the operations and support costs with high equipment costs and you can
see why the Internet is moving away from ATM as the core transport.  The
Internet is gambling on MPLS as the replacement for ATM.  Some sources
say that MPLS will be out of scalability by 2002 or 2003.

I am hoping that the dynamic MAC level leaning architecture of switched
802.3 will provide some relief for the complexity of the Internet core.
The combination of flow control with priority queueing may provide the
needed to tools to acomplish that.  At present it is being looked at.
The limitation is the number of vendors that support OSPF, BGP4, flow
control and priority queuing in the same L2/L3/L4 switch.  As more
vendor bring out systems that support these protocols, it will be easier
to do.

					Thank you,
					Roy Bynum