From: David Martin [mailto:dwmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 1999 1:09 PM
To: Chang, Edward S
Cc: HSSG_reflector
Subject: RE: 1000BASE-T PCS question

I'd like to clarify the residual BER spec for telecom systems. For OC-48
rate SONET systems, the
end-of-life BER customer requirement is 1E-12 (no FEC). For OC-192 rate the
value is the same,
1E-12 without FEC (c.f. BCR GR-1377-CORE Section 4.2.1, page 4-3) and 1E-15
with FEC (customer
requirement).

Note that some of our OC-48 customers, who have had systems running for up
to 10 years, are
measuring RBERs in the 1E-16 range (about one error every 7 years on a DS-3
trib). The OC-192
systems out there will need to run awhile longer to acquire similar
performance data.

The point here is that the SONET scrambler is not the limiting issue in
achieving low error rates. The
issue is having enough photons/bit, or optical SNR (eye-Q) to accurately
recover the data.

...Dave

David W. Martin
Nortel Networks