RE: 1000BASE-T PCS question

Rich,

The DC imbalance( draft) of 4B/5B used in FDDI is not unbounded, but is
bounded within +/- 10%,  even with the worst case code.  We had a prove on
this during the code debate in Fiber Channel.  With proper AC coupling time
constant, the effective DC draft is very much tolerable and the BER
objective can still be met with 4B/5B.  One of the reason why considering
4B/5B at the time is that 8B/10B costs hundreds of more gates to implement,
which is non-issue now.  The code also has max 3-bit run length, and this
high transition density feature makes data recovery a lot easy.

When 100Base-T borrowed it from FDDI, it has to keep the coding unchanged
for protocol compatibility, but need to do scrambling after.  So these 4B/5B
features are essentially removed by scrambling.  Issue such as the longer
run length (possible 60-70 bits without transitions) takes some jitter
budget and makes timing recovery to work harder, that may be part of the
reason the BER performance is limited.

Scrambling randomizes data, removes data dependency and make it more
"balanced" only for relatively long term. It could create worse short term
imbalances than the original data.  All it can do is to "average" -- avoid
the worst case data sequences, but not provide any guaranteed features as
the block codes for BER.

8B/10B is balanced within a block (a byte) and provides probably the best
features in terms of BER.

Bin