RE: Ideally BER should be a customer controlled option

The intent might be benign, but the BER knob is an interoperability threat.
Vendors will naturally use it as a hook for controlling both ends of the link.
It probably will not get to the point where removing somebodies' browser
automatically increases your link bit rate...but I am sure you can find
an expert to say that in court nonetheless...

I prefer to spec an agressive BER, based on the undetected error rates
(observed at the MAC, as mentioned by Rich Seifert).
I am more concerned about that, than about the retransmissions.

Ariel Hendel
Sun Microsystems