Re: Wide Area Networking for the Rest of US - the debate on BER and other issues

I agree that the "knob" may not be very useful.  10e-12 to 10e-10 is actually
approx 1dB difference in optical power in the absence of error floors.  The best
use of the "knob" would probably be to allow longer link distances if the error
rate requirement is lower.  ie within the committee produce a table of link
length versus error rate for the same Rx and Tx performance.  The other option
would be to create multiple categories of Rx/Tx specifications.  I don't think
this is a good idea unless cost savings are significant which I don't think they
will be.  In this scenario with different Rx/Tx specifications manufacturer's
and users will have to keep the various options separated and ensure that both
ends of a link use the higher grade parts when a low error rate is required.