Re: Wide Area Networking for the Rest of US - the debate on BER and other issues

Hi Bill,

I think the BER knob is a bad idea. Isn't one of the points
of the OSI "layering" model to "hide" or abstract-away a lot
of details about lower layers? Why not imagine (and aim
for) the physical layer as being an "error-free" medium.
Period!

By that I mean external noise effects that affect the
physical transmission of data are controlled or minimised
appropriately so that a "bit-error" i.e. the physical
tranformation of a data '1'-bit to a data '0'-bit
(and vice versa) just doesn't occur.

It then follows that physical layer-derived frame errors
don't occur simply because all the physical bits within
the frame are uncompromised by external physical effects.
Any "errors" prompting re-transmission can then be assumed
to occur at L2, L3 & L4. These are non-physical errors
because they are due to the effects of statistical multiplexing
like contention, buffer overflow, and so on.

With this in the back of ones' mind it follows that realistic
values for L2, L3 and L4 errors can be used to specify the BER
value required at L1 to render the transmission medium error-free.

Maybe I'm mixed up, but might it be the case that two culture are
meeting
for the first time? On the one hand there are those with a datacoms
background who have a bag of useful techniques to deal with physical
layer errors by using redundancy and appropriate coding techniques
to identify and correct transmission errors. On the other hand there
are those with an optics comms. background who always aim to provide an
error-free transmission medium via the appropriate use of data
regenerators.

To put this into perspective. I was horrified (and amazed) that
mobile telephony worked despite physical layer error rates of 1x10^-4!!!
I was equally amazed when an optics chap from Nortel, during an  MSc
lecture
I attended, told the assembled class some anecdotes about how
"error-free" (i.e. 1 x 10^18 or better) optical fibre-based transmission
systems can be---and how the affect of a butterfly flapping its wings in
Tiannamen Square could lead to a power surge in the mains supply in an
optics lab in the south of England...

With the application of Moores law after adoption "lower cost" lasers
etc.
become higher cost in the long run because of the compromises that have
to be adopted.

If you want a BER "knob" then consider what I wrote earlier (which
mysteriously doesn't appear on the Email Archive.) This suggests the
use of optical modules (850nm, 1300nm, & 1550nm) akin to GBICs
appropriate to the transmission distance required for serial 10xGbE.
All can be specified to a certain BER for the transmission media
(i.e. single mode, multimode) and distance: