Re: 10G-BASE-T question (dd1)

Bob,
  I think Dan's concern, and mine as well, is that if we standardize on a wider interface than
is necessary in the future, it hinders devices which opt to put many interfaces on one chip --
switch chips, for example.  While it may not be a big deal for the NIC end, a large part of
the economics in a switch is how many ports/ASIC you can get.  The discussion of 32-bit
interfaces (really 64+) for early devices would be to not push the clock rate too far too fast;
but if that is the *ONLY* interface specified in the standard, then less-well-defined
potentially lower quality "industry standards" take over as technology gets better.

  The case in point is MII in 802.3, vs. SMII in the field.  SMII has issues with timing in
terms of the COL and CRS signals in half-duplex 100Mb networks, something that I
believe would have gotten a lot more scrutiny had it been done by the IEEE.  I realize
that there isn't much call for half-duplex, certainly at these speeds, but the point is that
this "industry standard" interface didn't get the broad level of scrutiny which goes on
in the IEEE process, and thus is not of the same caliber, yet we must live with it.

  I would much prefer to specify the upgraded (smaller) interface up front, perhaps in
parallel with a wider current interface, and get all the issues worked out at that time.

Bruce LaVigne

"Bob Grow" wrote:

> Dan:
>
> I don't share your primary concern (at least in perceived magnitude). An
> 8-bit interface is already included in the standard (GMII), all that need
> change is the clock rate (not something subject to discriminatory
> licensing).  A wider interface presents more constraints, and if wanted as
> an option must be used in evaluating a number of the PHY proposals. (A wider
> interface can affect preamble, IPG, and latency at a minimum.)
>
> --Bob Grow

begin:vcard
n:LaVigne;Bruce
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Hewlett-Packard, Workgroup Networks Division
version:2.1
email;internet:bruce@xxxxxxxxxxx
title:Design Engineer
tel;fax:(916) 785-1199
tel;work:(916) 785-4194
adr;quoted-printable:;;8000 Foothills Blvd.=0D=0Am/s 5672;Roseville;California;95747-5672;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Bruce LaVigne
end:vcard