Re: importance of DC balance

On June 8th Jaime Kardontchik wrote:

Looking at the system from another point of
frequency effects on the electronics and optics,
8b/10b+4-WDM incurres a penalty of 8 dB in
SNR compared to 1000BASE-X just because the
bit energy is smaller (smaller baud period,
0.32 nsec vs 0.8 nsec) and the thermal noise
is larger (3.125 GHz bandwidth vs 1.25 GHz
bandwidth of the receiver analog front end).
This increases either the BER and/or reduces
the achievable link length of the 8b/10 + 4-WDM
system.

Jaime,

The noise power and not the noise rms amplitude is proportional to the
bandwidth. Therefore, the noise due to the required extra banwidth would reduce
the SNR by 4 dB. I would also like to point out that in making your argument
against 8B/10B you are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing systems
with two different line speeds, 1.25 vs. 3.125 Gb/s. The more meaningful
comparison would be to compare two systems with the same information carrying
capacity, for example one 8B/10B coded (let say 3.125 or 12.5 Gb/s) and the
other uncoded (2.5 Gb/s or 10Gb/s). Therefore, the extra thermal noise would
reduce the SNR by 1 dB.

Petar Pepeljugoski
IBM Research
P.O.Box 218