RE: MAC/ASIC Interface

Ed,

   You raise good points, which I have tried to address below:

> I think we all agree the serial data are differential as they are
> implemented in all SERDES devices today.  However, the single-ended signals
> are only for the parallel I/O side, either 32 bits-wide or 40 bits-wide with
> 8B/10B, where the headache of excessive line-count exists.

I agree the parallel I/O signals are intended for the MAC side of the
PHY, but since they are to be located on the same die as the 10G side
of the PHY, thier impact on performance must be considered.  On the
receive side the PHY would have to drive 32 bits of data at a time,
presumably with a sub-3ns edge rate.  Chip designers do have solutions
for this today, but they are expensive and hard to integrate with a
jitter-sensitive PLL and other mixed signal circuitry (which is why the
current SERDES devices I am familiar with use a low-swing differential
data interface today).  At 10G, with it's likely tighter jitter
and receive requirements, the problem of isolation of the substantial
pad-related noise gets significantly worse than at 1.25Gb/s.

> The use of TI's 2.5 Gbps SERDES core is also one of the practical approach,
> but to series four SERDESs in one, and deserize a serial data into four
> independent SREDESs, a deskew buffer is required in each transmitting and
> receiving ends.  Although the buffer size can be small, within  a bit or
> several.  However, it is not deskew free, even you mentioned that each
> SERDES is self-clocking, otherwise, skew will consume the very precious data
> recovery margin.

The deskew buffer is required on both receiving ends, as it is there
where you have to combine the 4 2.5Gb/s streams into one 10G stream.
As you suggest, this buffer can be shallow, but it's depth does impose a
limit on differential skew between the trace lengths.  I would guess that
if a buffer size of 4 bauds is used, we can cover almost any practical
trace difference delays, and only impose a latency penality of about 1.6ns.
It should be noted that since each receiver is recovering it's own clock,
data/clock skew and it's associated problems are completely removed.  The
board layout constraints are limited to matching 4 pairs of two differential
traces, rather than closely matching 32 data lines and a clock.

> Nevertheless, we all agree it has to be cost-effective.

It is in that vein that I mention that the die area for the deskew
function discussed above should be less than the area consumed by 4
standard ASIC high-drive digital I/O pads at 0.25u, and less than 2
I/O pads at 0.18u, making this an attractive option from a die area
(cost) point of view.