RE: Jumbo Frames in 10GbE?

Title: RE: Jumbo Frames in 10GbE?

Bruce,

Good catch!  That's what I get for typing late on a Monday night. J  I should have stated "Given that Jumbo Frames capability has been implemented by some companies, ..."

The point was that there are companies out there that have implemented Jumbo Frame capability, and a consortium may be a better way to proceed to develop a compatibility standard rather than generating an IEEE standard.  This is how the RMII consortium was done.  There were a few companies that realized they were developing a lower pin count MII, and upon showing each other their wares, they discovered that they had similar concepts.  A consortium was formed to develop an RMII standard, which permitted the work to be done quicker and with less overhead than if they had developed an IEEE standard.

If there is a real interest in Jumbo Frames, then it should be developed on its own and not burden other standards' development.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Booth
bbooth@xxxxxxxxxx
Level One Communications, Austin Design Center
(512) 407-2135 office
(512) 589-4438 cellular