10GE data rate?

Roy:
I wanted to get your expert opinion on a few issues that would be of
interest to me as we go forward in the standard:

1) do you really believe that we need to support all the WAN OAMP
features in 10GE?  I would rather prefer a light-weight 10ge protocol
that guarantees the lowest cost in the LAN, but make sure that it can be
wrapped easily into a WAN envelope to support all the WAN features.

2) at the last meeting, Paul Bottorff as well as Mike Salzman presented
approaches to a serial 10GE standard based on scrambling as opposed to
block coding.  Both of these could be used for a low-cost serial LAN
standard, and wrapped into WAN envelopes like SONET to provide WAN OAMP
features.  The 10GE data rate would have to be kept to around 9.6 Gb/s
to make that possible at the lowest cost.  Presumably, that would
accelerate the acceptance of 10GE in the WAN.

3) Alternatively, we could propose to allow for additional control
fields in the 10GE standard that duplicate the functions most important
for WAN apps.  This may be the cleanest solution, but it will require
802.3 to venture into an area that it has not worried about before...

Any thoughts?

Martin
begin:vcard
n:Nuss;Martin
tel;fax:(732) 949-2473
tel;work:(732) 949-5358
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Bell Labs - Lucent Technologies;Optical Enterprise Networks Research
adr:;;101 Crawfords Corner Rd.;Holmdel;NJ;07733-3030;
version:2.1
email;internet:nuss@xxxxxxxxxx
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
fn:Martin Nuss