RE: The myth that SONET is an interoperable standard

Roy:

One of the great myths in the networking world is that SONET is an
interoperable standard.  It is only an interoperable standard between back
to back ADM nodes.  I don't know of any SONET/SDH systems that will
interoperate at the transport level.  Let me give you a few examples of why
this is so:

1. On most OC-192 (and some OC-48) systems vendors have implemented
different proprietary types of FEC
2. Every vendor uses a proprietary "hello" protocol to signal for node
failure (as opposed to path, link or section failure)
3. Device managements, stats and OAMP uses proprietary signalling
protocols - most use proprietary out of band systems
4. The ITU grid only establishes the wavelength frequencies.  There is no
standard for optical modulation technique, power levels, wavelength spacing
and optical system management

In the optical Internet we built across Canada  (CA*net 3)we encountered all
sorts of problems between equipment vendors who claimed to have supported
that latest SONET specs (which they did) - but the equipment would still not
interoperate.  To handle the OAMP  issues we had to build custom digital
cross connects (DCCs) around each router and other vendor's SONET equipment.
We also turned off most of the "standard" SONET signalling features in the
routers and regen equipment to avoid other problems.

Once we have MPLS installed in our network that will support restoral and
protection switching at layer 3, at speeds possibly faster than SONET, all
we need is a very simple transport protocol such as 10GbE.  SONET just gives
us grief.

As I mentioned before most of this is anathema to most carriers and I very
much doubt that traditional carriers will deploy native 10GbE networks.
Given our experience with CA*net 3 I see little need for any additional OAMP
beyond what is currently available in the GbE spec.

However, as we gain further experience with a couple of the 4xGbE CWDM
networks we are now in the process of deploying (700 km and 1700km
respectively) we will have a better feel on what OAMP features are important
and essential.

Bill