Re: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards

1.txt

     Martin:

     It is outrageous to make statements like "method A is definitely
     cheaper than method B".  Since you don't have access to our cost
     models and you don't have the all the details of our design and
     assembly method, you have no way of judging relative cost.  If your
     "opinion" is that 10-Gig serial will be cheaper, then you are welcome
     to it.  My opinion is that 10G serial will be a more expensive
     solution in the short term than WWDM. I believe this will be the case
     for several years to come.  Debate is fine, but you need to stop
     making assertions as fact.  A "balanced view" is one in which
     controversial statements are qualified in such a way as to acknowledge
     that all the facts are not yet known, and that possibilities exist
     which may be contrary to one's personal opinions.

     Brian Lemoff
     HP Labs

     Brian:

     I don't think my claim is outrageous, otherwise I would not have made
     it. I don't want to position one solution versus the other, I just
     wanted to make sure that we are getting a balanced view.

     Here is why I believe that 10G serial is ultimaltely the lowest cost
     solution:

     1) most of our lasers (e.g., FP or uncooled DFB) that you can buy
     spec'd
     at 2.5 Gb/s actually work at 10 Gb/s directly modulated with minor
     packaging modifications.

     2) 10 Gigabit electronics is becoming a lot cheaper.  We are seeing 10
     Gb/s electronics in SiGe, BiCMOS, and straight CMOS coming out, with
     cost erosion curves that are highly encouraging.

     I believe that your point was that you currently have to pay thousands
     of dollars for a 10Gb/s line card.  But these line cards are telecom
     grade, and are still using the older and more costly optics and
     electronics.

     You are actually using the same argument for WWDM.  If you buy WWDM
     combiners and splitters today from commercial vendors like E-TEK or
     JDS,
     you also have to pay thousands of dollars. But lower-cost packaging
     and
     datacom mentality hopefully will bring these costs down to where we
     need
     them to be.

     Martin

     BRIAN_LEMOFF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

     >      Martin,
     >
     >      Your claim that "... a serial 10-Gig solution is definitely
     going to
     >      be the cheapest one by the time 10G Ethernet sales seriously
     take off"
     >      is absolutely outrageous, and has no place on this reflector.
     Perhaps,
     >      relative to other solutions that Lucent has been able to
     develop, this is
     >      true, but there have been several other proposals (including
     the HP WWDM,
     >      Blaze WWDM, Transcendata MAS) that could very well be cheaper
     than serial
     >      10-Gig for MANY YEARS TO COME.
     >
     >      Your argument in favor of scrambling is valid, but it also has
     to be
     >      balanced against the disadvantage of designing electronics that
     support
     >      very low frequencies.  AC balanced electronics (both TX and RX)
     with
     >      relatively high low frequency cutoffs tend to have less jitter
     and result
     >      in higher sensitivity.  In the regime that we are working on
     (i.e. our
     >      low-cost 4 channel WWDM module) the trade-off between 2.5-Gbaud
     scrambled
     >      and 3.125-Gbaud 8B/10B is a close call.  There are pros and
     cons to both
     >      sides.  Certainly both are well within the realm of low-cost
     electronic
     >      processes.
     >
     >      -Brian Lemoff
     >       HP Labs

     WAN
     > and 8B/10B in the LAN.  There are a lot of good reasons why we need
     > look at scrambling in the LAN as well:
     >
     > 1) a serial 10-Gig solution is definitely going to be the cheapest
     one
     > by the time 10G Ethernet sales seriously take off.  That is true in
     the
     > LAN as well.  You do not want to exclude an option that promises to
     be
     > the cheapest one!
     >
     > 2) there is no significant cost advantage in 8B/10B coding over
     > scrambling from an optics and electronics point of view
     >
     > 3) there is however a cost penalty going to higher speed optics and
     > electronics.  10 Gb/s can be achieved rather readily for both optics
     and
     > electronics, but a 25% overhead likely makes things more expensive
     >
     > 4) the lower line rate (10.00 vs. 12.5 Gb/s) directly translates
     into
     > longer distances supported, more power budget, and less penalties
     (such
     > as DMD).
     >
     > Martin Nuss
     >
     > Drew Perkins wrote:
     > >
     > > Paul,
     > >         You hit on another very good reason for the WAN version to
     use
     > > scrambled encoding. Let me rephrase it for emphasis. I believe it
     is a
     > > requirement that 10 Gb/s Ethernet be able to ride over existing
     DWDM spans.
     > > These spans have already been engineered for 10 Gb/s channels.
     Increasing
     > > the bit rate would increase the optical bandwidth, and would
     require
     > > increasing the optical power as well. Thus an 8B/10B 12.5 Gb/s
     signal would
     > > not be able to ride on most existing spans, but would instead
     require
     > > completely new spans to be engineered. This will not be acceptable
     to many
     > > carriers. Therefore, using scrambling is clearly a hard
     requirement for 10
     > > Gb/s Ethernet over DWDM systems.
     > >
     > > This is, of course, not a factor in the decision whether to use
     8B/10B or
     > > scrambling in the LAN.
     > >
     > > Drew
     > > Ciena Corporation                 Email: ddp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
     > > Core Switching Division                 Tel: 408-865-6202
     > > 10201 Bubb Road                         Fax: 408-865-6291
     > > Cupertino, CA 95014              Cell/Pager: 408-829-8298

     GaAs) will
     > > be
     > > >much different between 10 & 12.5 Gbps.  The primary cost issue
     seemed that
     > > >of
     > > >the relative laser performance (e.g. temperature stablization).
     Also, if
     > > >you
     > > >are talking about "converting" an existing Sonet chip to silicon
     (meaning
     > > >that
     > > >the existing desing is in GaAs) and throwing away a bunch of
     circuits, I
     > > >wouldn't be so sure that the development cost would be much less.
      In any
     > > >case,
     > > >assuming the volume is large (which I'm sure everyone's hoping),
     the
     > > >development
     > > >cost will be amortized, and hence not a significant factor.  But
     this is a
     > > >discussion for LAN (or enterprise) applications.  I was trying to
     > > understand
     > > >the
     > > >economics of applying Ethernet to WAN but forcing it within the
     existing
     > > WAN
     > > >practice, and hoping you could provide some insight.
     > > >
     > > >Peter
     > > >

     > > >Roy Bynum <rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxx> on 06/25/99 04:50:23 PM
     > > >
     > > >Please respond to rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxx
     > > >
     > > >Sent by:  Roy Bynum <rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     > > >

     > > >To:   Peter Wang/HQ/3Com
     > > >cc:   stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
     > > >Subject:  Re: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards
     > > >

     > > >Peter,
     > > >
     > > >Just because a SONET OC192C framing is used, does not mean that
     the OAMP
     > > >functionality is active in the LAN interface.  If OAMP processing
     is not
     > > >needed, only the existing SONET chip set, converted to silicon,
     with
     > > >most active functionality, other than path BER can be disabled.
     This
     > > >will leverage the existing technology without the higher cost of
     the
     > > >APS, line and section overhead, etc.
     > > >
     > > >Having worked on devices before, I know that the higher the bit
     signal
     > > >rate the more expensive the devices.  With a PHY that is 1/4
     higher in
     > > >bit rate, compared the 8B/10B signal rate, the OC192 rate may be
     less
     > > >expensive.
     > > >
     > > >Roy

     > > >approaches