Re: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards
- To: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards
- From: ka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:03:49 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: ka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I agree completely with your assertions and conclusions about the benefits of a
> well designed FEC such as Reed-Solomon.
> In addition, I believe that other coding requirements such as special symbol
> support, transition density, DC-balance, error containment (no multiplication of
> bit errors) may be combined with an FEC requirement and result in a code with
> fairly low overhead.
I agree. It would be great to incorporate all of the above at low cost,
and have the further possibility of performing FEC (decoding of parity bits
is clearly optional), by just having a provision for it (allocating bits for
FEC purpose, and defining the FEC code so that we don't run into the problem
of proliferation of proprietary FEC codes).