Re: Distance Ad Hoc Summary from 6-28-99 Conference Call

Jonathan,

My opinion is that you're being far too paranoid at this stage in the game. I
believe that a motion to:

"Support the premises cabling plant distances as specified in ISO/IEC 11801"

The distances supported in ISO/IEC 11801 are:

100 m for horizontal cabling (applicable to copper, MMF, SMF)

550 m for vertical cabling: (applicable to SMF and possibly MMF)

2-3 km for campus cabling: (applicable to SMF)

These numbers were the basis of the distance objectives for Gigabit Ethernet.

If a roll call vote is taken and individuals voters know they will be questioned
on why they would vote NO, I believe the outcome would uninimously in favor of
the motion.

This motion represents very positive start to a 10 Gigabit Ethernet standard. We
then went on to exceed these figures by a large margin in the completed
standard.

We all know we can do better than 100 m over MMF and 2-3 km on SMF.

I'm concerned that your strategy pits proponents of one signaling scheme against
the other since each signaling scheme combined with a specific laser type,
wavelegth and fiber type may be the only alternative that can achieve a
particular distance. Furthermore, that scheme may be far from the most cost
efficient scheme and may be the most expensive and conficting in nature with one
of our key PAR 5 Criteria: Economic Feasibility.

--

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx