From: Rob Marsland [mailto:rmarsland@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 10:27 AM
To: 'Chang, Edward S'; 'Bill Woodruff'
Cc: 'stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: re[2]: Why wrong LINE rate could cost dear

Ed,
   I think it is clear that VCSELs are already operating at 10 Gbit/s.  The
data I presented at the June meeting was with multi-mode 850nm VCSELs.  I
believe there was also a Lucent talk based on 10 Gbit/s 850 nm VCSELs.  The
question is really in the details of what extinction ratio and coding
overhead are required.  I'm with Martin Nuss when it comes to having a
strong preference for 10 Gbaud over 12.5.  Also, extinction ratio >>6 dB is
challenging with direct modulation at these rates (although clever TX
designers may come up with a way of beating the VCSEL into submission).

Rob

Robert A. Marsland
Focused Research, Inc. (a New Focus company)
555 Science Dr.
Madison, WI 53711
(608) 238 2455
(608) 238 2656 FAX