Re: Why an optical PHY makes 10GbE a non-LAN protocol

Drew,

I agree with your point of view about the differences between MAN/WAN and the
other AN's. That's why I never took issue with it.

I'll gladly withdraw extended LAN since, hopefully, I've made the case for
1000BASE-LX being a LAN PHY. BTW, SAN stands for either Storage or System Area
Network, the latter referring to the clustering of processors. If I have to
digest all your WAN terms, I'm not above throwing some storage, channel, and
processor terms your way ;-)

I also agree that no flavor of Ethernet "has the tools that many service
providers want in order to provide an easily-managed, robust communications
service." To the best of my knowledge and relatively short relationship with
802.3, I don't know of any Calls for Interest to add such tools In addition, I
am not aware of any proposals within the HSSG to add such tools. However, I'm
sure that you would get strong interest from many members if such a call were
made and I believe that Ethernet's architecture is flexible enough to
incoprorate the functions required to implement these tools.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Perkins, Drew" wrote:

> I think that we need new terms. I don't know what they should be, but
> LAN/WAN/MAN/SAN/xAN are too overloaded. The critical difference between LAN
> and WAN has never been just the distance between two communicating
> endpoints. As I said previously, I believe the critical differentiator is
> whether or not the protocol has tools to allow a 3rd party service provider
> provide a managed L1 transmission service between two points.
>
> Even if Gigabit Ethernet is being used over private fiber end-to-end across
> Canada, that doesn't mean that it has the tools that many service providers
> want in order to provide an easily-managed, robust communications service.
>
> Drew
> Ciena Corporation                 Email: ddp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Core Switching Division                 Tel: 408-865-6202
> 10201 Bubb Road                         Fax: 408-865-6291
> Cupertino, CA 95014              Cell/Pager: 408-829-8298

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx